When creating a new web site, these are some questions you should ask yourself before getting started.
- Who is going to use the web site?
- What devices will they use?
- Which web browsers will they use?
- Do we have to accommodate users with disabilities?
- What problem should the site solve?
- What will the layout of the site be?
- Which fonts shall be used?
- What is the color scheme?
- Do we have a logo for the site?
- Should users login to the web site?
- Should it be a Single Page Application?
- Should it be responsive?
- Should we use HTTPS?
- Should it be in multiple languages?
- Do we need to consider Search Engine Optimization?
- Do we need a Content Management System?
- Should the site have ads? How much?
- Should the site have a search feature?
- What will the navigation look like?
- Which browsers do we have to support?
- What server side framework should we use?
- What client side framework/libraries should we use?
- What Content Management System should be used, if any?
- Should we use a reset or normalize style sheet?
- Should we use SASS instead of CSS?
- Should we use semantic markup?
- Do we need an XML sitemap?
- How should the robots.txt look?
- Do we have a favicon?
- Where in the html should stylesheets go?
- Where in the html should scripts go?
- Should we minifiy and bundle stylesheets?
- Should we minifiy and bundle scripts?
- Does it have to be translatable?
- Is there and existing database the site should use?
- How should exceptions caught in Global.asax be handled?
- Should we implement logging in addition to the web server logs?
- Where should it be deployed?
- What type of database will be used?
- Do we have a domain name ready?
- Should we use staging when updating the site?
- Should we use a CDN?
- Should we use compression (gzip, deflate)?
- Should the site be monitored in some way?
- Can we add security headers? Which ones?
- Do we need to account for sudden traffic spikes?
- Who will make updates to the content of the site?